Monday, July 5, 2010

Meatloaf and Couliflower Au Gratin

Last week was super stressful! But what isn't stressful? Meatloaf.

It took about 5 minutes of prep time - I think I shaved off a few minutes when I didn't exactly read the recipe well and mixed all of the ingredients in at once (instead of using the brown sugar and such for more of a glaze).

Mixing all the ingredients together was DELICIOUS! Very sweet because of the brown sugar. I would consider cutting down half a tablespoon, but Will gave me a death stare when I mentioned this.

The Cauliflower Au Gratin was a little more work (recipe here) but ultimately excellent. It was a little more creamy/cheesy than I usually like, but hey, that's what it's supposed to be!

My favorite part was making the almond milk. First I roasted the almonds in a pan for a few minutes, then ground up the nuts and let them soak in milk. I don't like milk too much, but the almond milk was great! 


Unfortunately I didn't have the best tools or making this well, so I made a pretty good mess trying to separate the grounds from the milk. I ended up getting a little frustrated and let some of the almond pieces into the au gratin... but I think it just added some nice texture.

Ultimately the combo of the cheesy cauliflower and the sweet meatloaf were amazing together. I will definitely save the meatloaf recipe, probably doubling it next time (Will and I had only two meals out of it! Disappointing).

Bon App-alysse!

2 comments:

  1. Schalysse you cutie-patootie! LOVE that I discovered your blog and can't wait to follow it avidly :) You've already inspired me in the first few minutes of reading! FYI my current blog is at http://colorado-kimmer.blogspot.com/ - only promoting it because if I have more readers I'm more likely to blog more which I've been terrible at recently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I will begin following it immediately.

    Let me know what you cook!

    ReplyDelete