Sunday, July 11, 2010

Curry!!!

In my quest for the perfect curry, I've tried over 7 recipes. While some have come close to matching the "I want to literally drink this from the serving bowl" flavor I've had at some restaurants, I feel like I'm getting further and further away from the taste I want.

Last week I found an Indian recipe book and tried a basic chicken curry that had some different ingredients that I was used to. Ultimately, it was bland and lacked the flavor that I love. However... I did remember to pick up some garlic naan that saved the day. Nothing can taste bad when eaten on some buttery naan!

Yesterday I tried creating a curry based on my instinct alone. I figured that I had made enough to know what ingredients and flavors I like. Below is a recipe (based on memory) from that night. Note that the amount on the ingredient is completely made up based on what I think I used. Also, the cat helped:

Alysse's Currrray

2 cloves garlic
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
Assorted veggies

1.5 cups stock
2/3 can of low fat coconut milk

2-3 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup brown sugar (start with less, add more to taste)
2 tbsp minced ginger

Seasonings: Mom's Curry Mix-
Sweet curry, garam masala, vindaloo, maharajah - probably, maybe a tsp of each? maybe a tbsp of the sweet curry and maharajah. I have no idea, I just smelled them all and added at will, then added some more.


Heat some oil in a large, deep pan. Add garlic until aromatic. Add finely chopped onion, saute for a few minutes.

Then add the rest of your veggies. I used what I had in my fridge - broccoli, spinach, carrots. Saute for a few minutes.

Add chicken stock and one third can of coconut milk and simmer.

Add tomato paste, some brown sugar. I know that I love a sweet curry, so I used a lot of brown sugar. You may want to start with less and work your way up. Add ginger and spices. Salt and pepper to taste.

Stir and add the rest of the coconut milk, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over rice and enjoy!



So there's my curry recipe! You can tell that I like a sweet curry, and I think the brown sugar is the best way to get that flavor. I'm still looking for suggestions on spices or things to add for the perfect curry. Any ideas??

Bon App-Alysse!

2 comments:

  1. Your recipe is almost exactly what I do! Sometimes I throw in fresh lemongrass during the simmering phase or you can start cooking it separately in the stock/coconut milk. It's a trick I picked up from an Indonesian, and you can usually find fresh stalks at any oriental store that has a produce section. I also substitute honey for the brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Good tips. I will most definitely try the lemon grass - and the honey. I wouldn't have thought of that but I can imagine it gives a similar flavor to the brown sugar.

    Keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete